- About Us
- Who We Are
- Welcome from the President
- Thunder Bay (Main Campus)
- Regional Campuses
- Northwestern Ontario
- Campus Construction Projects
- Corporate Information
- Maps - Campus & Floor Plans
- Student Union Website ...
- Virtual Tour
- Programs & Courses
- NEW! Confederation Bound: Early Acceptance Program
- All Programs & Courses
- Full-Time Programs - Postsecondary
- MASTER LIST - ALL Programs
- Business Accounting
- Business - Human Resources
- Aboriginal Financial and Economic Planning
- Business Marketing
- Business Administration - Accounting
- Business Administration - Human Resources
- Business Administration - Marketing
- Business Fundamentals
- Human Resources Management
- International Business Management
- Office Administration - General
- Community Services
- Aboriginal Canadian Relations
- Child and Youth Worker
- Aboriginal Community Advocacy
- Community Integration Through Co-operative Education
- Concurrent Disorders
- Developmental Services Worker
- Early Childhood Education
- Native Child and Family Services
- Educational Support (formerly Educational Assistant)
- Recreation Therapy Program
- Social Service Worker
- Engineering Technology
- Aerospace Manufacturing Engineering Technician
- GIS Applications Specialist & Cartographic Specialist Programs
- Aerospace Manufacturing Engineering Technology
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Electrical Engineering Technology
- Electronics Engineering Technician - Computers
- Engineering Business and Safety Management
- Instrumentation Engineering Technician - Process Automation and Control
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- General Arts and Science
- Health Sciences
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Media Arts
- Natural Resources
- Preparatory Studies
- Protective Services
- Skilled Trades
- Construction Techniques
- Mechanical Techniques
- Motive Power Techniques - Automotive
- Motive Power Techniques - Heavy Equipment
- Power Engineering Technician
- Welding Techniques
- APPRENTICESHIP TRAINING
- Automotive Service Technician Apprenticeship
- Electrical Construction and Maintenance Apprenticeship
- General Carpenter Apprentice
- Heavy Duty Equipment Technician Apprenticeship
- Industrial Electrician Apprenticeship
- Industrial Mechanic Millwright Apprenticeship
- Instrumentation Co-op Diploma Apprenticeship Program
- Roofer Apprenticeship
- Truck and Coach Technician Apprenticeship
- Welding Apprenticeship
- Cook Apprenticeship
- Aboriginal Programs
- Preparatory Studies
- Continuing Education (CE)
- International Education
- School College Work Initiative (SCWI)
- Fall Academy
- English as a Second Language
- Regional Skills Competition
- MASTER LIST - All Programs
- Academic Services
- Non-Academic Services
- Staff Services
- Financial Services
- Registration & Records
- Student Learning Services
- Student Union (SUCCI)
- DEPARTMENTS ...
- In The News
- Contact Us
Do you wish you could make sense of the notes you took in class? Do you want to do better on your tests? Check out our resources! You'll learn how to improve your study skills and test performance. We have included print material and web links to resources we think are excellent.
The following links will take you to a number of print resources in each category.
- Presentation Skills (pdf)
Studying For and Taking Tests
- 10 Steps to Better Test Taking
- Writing Multiple Choice Nursing Exams
- Multiple Choice Strategies
- Preparing for Tests & Exams
- Test Anxiety
- Effective Note Taking
- Taking Notes in Math and Science
- Create Electronic Index Cards
- Create the Cornell Notes Template
- Managing Time Effectively
- Blank Weekly Study Schedule (1 hour)
- Blank Weekly Study Schedule (1/2 hour)
- Time Management
WORKING IN GROUPS
- Working in Groups (pdf)
- Writing Essays and Short Research Papers
- APA Style of Referencing Quick Guide
- Transitions That Connect Ideas
- In-Text Citations and References Quick Tips
- MLA Style
- APA Tutorial
- APA/MLA Research Paper Samples
- Citation Machine
- Annotated Bibliography
- How do I cite in APA format?
- Purdue Online Writing Lab - APA Formatting
- Web Links
The following web links will take you to a number of web resources in each category.
- Quizlet - among the largest free educational websites used around the world with more than 16 million study sets!
DICTIONARIES & THESAURUS
- Dictionary.com - a free multi-source site that includes numerous resources such as English, multilingual, medical, legal, and science dictionaries, text translation, references (atlas & maps, almanac, business & financial, legal, medical & health) and a thesaurus.
- Encarta - enter this site and click on a dictionary to access definitions and listen to pronunciation. Also includes thesaurus and translation links.
- The FreeDictionary.com - contains English, medical, legal, and computer dictionaries, a thesaurus, encyclopedia, a literature reference library, and a search engine all in one.
- Thesaurus - Roget's Thesaurus of English words and phrases.
- English Language Resources - Merriam-Webster provides a free on-line dictionary, thesaurus, audio pronunciations, Word of the Day, word games, and other English language resources.
- Visual Thesaurus - This on-line thesaurus and dictionary has over 145,000 words that you can explore using an interactive map. It's a tool for people who think visually.
- Owl Online Writing Lab - helpful strategies for improving spelling, grammar, punctuation, assistance with general writing, research, and documenting sources.
- Spelling: A Key to Good Communication - inclues lessons, practice exercises, and quizzes aimed at helping users improve their spelling.
- Grammar and Writing Guide - This grammar and writing web site features grammar topics as well as essay and research paper writing.
English as a second language
- Listening Lab - This ESL website was created by Randal Davis and helps ESL students improve their listening comprehension skills through practice with self-grading.
- ESL Cafe - Dave's ESL Cafe is the internet's meeting place for ESL teachers and students from around the world!
- English Club - Learn English free on-line with lessons, games, and videos!
- Algebra - includes lessons, calculators, and worksheet problems so that you can practice your skills.
- Math.com - offers step-by-step instructions, examples and workouts in everyday math, pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, statistics, calculus. This website offers homework help, practice, tutoring, calculators and tools, and games.
- Algebra - includes lessons from preliminary to advanced algebra. Provides reviewed and approved links to free online tutoring and lessons, quizzes, and worksheets.
- College Algebra - This website offers help in college algebra. Tutorials were created as a service to anyone who needs help in this area of math.
- Math Quiz - Complete math practice for integers, fractions, concepts and geometry.
- The Math Forum - an internet mathematics library that will link you to all types of math resources.
- Math Videos - tutorial videos on Algebra, Arithmetic, Calculus, Differential Equations, Discrete Math, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics, Trigonometry, and more!
- Math Video Tutorials - Topics are Arithmetic & Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Probability, Statistics, Pre-calculus, Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Applied Math, and Brain Teasers.
- Academic Tips - tips to help manage your time, take better notes, study effectively, improve memory, take tests, ,and handle the stresses of college life.
- Assignment Calculator - enter the start and completion dates for an assignment and this calculator will develop a subject specific schedule of tasks to keep you on track.
- How to Study - strategies to help you organize, manage your time, motivate yourself, concentrate, read texts, take notes, listen, manage stress, including links to how to study and write for all subject areas.
- Mindtools - helpful information on time management, stress management, memory improvement, and study skills.
- Study Guides and Strategies - strategies for preparing and learning, studying, participating in class, learning with others, managing projects, reading, preparing and taking tests, writing, math & science, and online learning.
- The Amazing Flash Card Machine - create interactive web-based study flash cards.
- Test Taking Tips - learn vital skills for improving your grades.
- Textbook Reading Strategies - suggestions and tips on getting the most from your textbooks.
- College Student Study Tips - key study techniques for college students.
- Academic Skills - Advice from the Learning Doctor!
- Tutorials - choose from thousands of lessons to learn something new or review concepts in math, sciences, economics & finance. On your profile you can select your avatar and show off your badges!
- Effective Study Environments
- Time Management Techniques
- Time Management Grid - this time management grid is an effective method of organizing your priorities.
- Time Management Techniques for Right-Brained People - If lists, calendars or schedules are not for you this guide suggests a different time management style.
- Get organized self-assessment
- Manage Your Work Don't Let It Manage You - tips for managing your time and getting ahead.
- Create a Weekly Schedule - find and maintain a sense of balance in your life with a weekly schedule!
- How Long Should I Study For? - what is the length of time recommended to study, to take breaks, and how do I get into a routine for studying?
- Chemistry, Biology, and Physics Video Tutorials
- Anatomy Flash Cards
- Medical mnemonics
- Human Anatomy Tour
- Brain Explorer
- Learn through song!
- Interactive Biology - The University of Arizona's Biology Project is an on-line interactive resource for learning biology.
- Biology Multiple Choice Questions - Learn biology through multiple choice questions!
- Learning and Teaching Activities - At this site you will find learning and teaching activities that complement Karen Timberlake's chemistry classes for allied health as well as the Timberlake textbook.
- Chemistry Coach - Tutorials and links to a variety of chemistry topics covering most introductory topics.
- Physics Classroom - the Physics Classroom features: physics tutorials, a multimedia physics studio, and physics help.
- Flash Movies and Diagrams - A wide variety of topics are covered using Flash movies and diagrams.
- Financial Accounting - this website is devoted to the principles of Financial Accounting.
- Microsoft Applications - "Learn it on-line" is a companion website for the Shelly Cashman text that offers project reinforcement, practice tests, terms, tips and tricks for Microsoft programs.
To make an appointment to discuss your needs, call the Academic Support Centre and book an appointment with:
Learning Skills Advisor