- About Us
- Who We Are
- Welcome from the President
- Thunder Bay (Main Campus)
- Regional Campuses
- Northwestern Ontario
- Campus Construction Projects
- Corporate Information
- Maps - Campus Maps & Floor Plans
- Student Union Website ...
- Virtual Tour
- Programs & Courses
- NEW! Confederation Bound: Early Acceptance Program
- All Programs & Courses
- Full-Time Programs - Postsecondary
- Winter Intake 2016 programs ...
- MASTER LIST - ALL Programs
- Aboriginal Financial and Economic Planning
- Law Clerk
- Business Accounting
- Business - Human Resources
- Business Marketing
- Business Administration - Accounting
- Business Administration - Human Resources
- Business Administration - Marketing
- Business Fundamentals
- Human Resources Management
- International Business Management
- Library and Information Technician
- Office Administration - General
- Community Services
- Aboriginal Canadian Relations
- Administration & Mental Health Practice
- Aboriginal Community Advocacy
- Autism and Behavioural Sciences
- Child and Youth Care
- Community Integration Through Co-operative Education
- Concurrent Disorders
- Developmental Services Worker
- Early Childhood Education
- Educational Support (formerly Educational Assistant)
- Native Child and Family Services
- Recreation Therapy Program
- Social Service Worker
- Engineering Technology
- Aerospace Manufacturing Engineering Technician
- Aerospace Manufacturing Engineering Technology
- Computer Programmer
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Electrical Engineering Technology
- Electronics Engineering Technician - Computers
- Engineering Business and Safety Management
- GIS Applications Specialist Program
- Instrumentation Engineering Technician - Process Automation and Control
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Dental Care & Administration
- Diabetes Education
- Leadership for Healthcare Professionals
- Leadership in Patient Support and Administration
- Nursing Specialization - Critical Care Nursing & Administration
- Critical Care Nursing
- Dental Assisting (Levels I and II)
- Dental Hygiene
- Medical Laboratory Assistant
- Medical Radiation Technology
- Personal Support Worker
- Practical Nursing
- Pre-Health Sciences
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Media Arts
- Natural Resources
- Preparatory Studies
- Protective Services
- Skilled Trades
- Construction Techniques
- Mechanical Techniques
- Motive Power Techniques - Automotive
- Motive Power Techniques - Heavy Equipment
- Power Engineering Technician
- Welding Techniques
- APPRENTICESHIP TRAINING
- Automotive Service Technician Apprenticeship
- Electrical Construction and Maintenance Apprenticeship
- Cook Apprenticeship
- General Carpenter Apprentice
- Heavy Duty Equipment Technician Apprenticeship
- Industrial Electrician Apprenticeship
- Industrial Mechanic Millwright Apprenticeship
- Instrumentation Co-op Diploma Apprenticeship Program
- Roofer Apprenticeship
- Truck and Coach Technician Apprenticeship
- Welding Apprenticeship
- Pre-Technology (Electrical)
- Preparatory Studies
- Continuing Education (CE)
- Distance Education
- International Education
- School College Work Initiative (SCWI)
- Winter Academy
- English Language Programs
- Regional Skills Competition
- Apprenticeship Training
- MASTER LIST - All Programs
- Academic Services
- Accessibility Services
- Banner Self Serve Application
- College Information System
- Co-operative Education
- Continuing Education
- Disability Services & Accommodations
- Independent Courses
- Ombuds Office
- Registration Services
- Student Handbook
- Student Success Centre
- Tutoring Services
- Non-Academic Services
- Accessibility Services
- Alumni Services Department
- Children and Family Centre
- Financial Aid
- Fitness Centre
- Food Services (Sodexo)
- Health Centre
- Northwest Employment Works
- Oshki-Anishnawbeg Student Association
- Public Safety
- Student Success Centre
- Training & Development
- Staff Services
- Financial Services
- Registration & Records
- Student Union (SUCCI)
- DEPARTMENTS ...
- Academic Services
- Media Releases
- Contact Us
Do you wish you could make sense of the notes you took in class? Do you want to do better on your tests? Check out our resources! You'll learn how to improve your study skills and test performance. We have included print material and web links to resources we think are excellent.
The following links will take you to a number of print resources in each category.
- Presentation Skills (pdf)
Studying For and Taking Tests
- 10 Steps to Better Test Taking
- Writing Multiple Choice Nursing Exams
- Multiple Choice Strategies
- Preparing for Tests & Exams
- Test Anxiety
- Managing Time Effectively
- Blank Weekly Study Schedule (1 hour)
- Blank Weekly Study Schedule (1/2 hour)
- Blank To-Do (by classes)
WORKING IN GROUPS
- Working in Groups (pdf)
- Writing Essays and Short Research Papers
- APA Style of Referencing Quick Guide
- Transitions That Connect Ideas
- In-Text Citations and References Quick Tips
- MLA Style
The following web links will take you to a number of web resources in each category.
- Quizlet - among the largest free educational websites used around the world with more than 16 million study sets!
- Cram - create and share flash cards!
- Anki - create electronic index cards.
- The Amazing Flash Card Machine - create interactive web-based study flash cards.
DICTIONARIES, THESAURUS & Grammar
- Dictionary.com - a free multi-source site that includes numerous resources such as English, multilingual, medical, legal, and science dictionaries, text translation, references (atlas & maps, almanac, business & financial, legal, medical & health) and a thesaurus.
- Grammerly - an automated grammar checker
- The FreeDictionary.com - contains English, medical, legal, and computer dictionaries, a thesaurus, encyclopedia, a literature reference library, and a search engine all in one.
- Thesaurus - Roget's Thesaurus of English words and phrases.
- English Language Resources - Merriam-Webster provides a free on-line dictionary, thesaurus, audio pronunciations, Word of the Day, word games, and other English language resources.
- Visual Thesaurus - This on-line thesaurus and dictionary has over 145,000 words that you can explore using an interactive map. It's a tool for people who think visually.
- Owl Online Writing Lab - helpful strategies for improving spelling, grammar, punctuation, assistance with general writing, research, and documenting sources.
- Grammar and Writing Guide - This grammar and writing web site features grammar topics as well as essay and research paper writing.
English as a second language
- Listening Lab - This ESL website was created by Randal Davis and helps ESL students improve their listening comprehension skills through practice with self-grading.
- ESL Cafe - Dave's ESL Cafe is the internet's meeting place for ESL teachers and students from around the world!
- English Club - Learn English free on-line with lessons, games, and videos!
- APA Tutorial
- APA/MLA Research Paper Samples
- Citation Machine
- Annotated Bibliography
- How Do I Cite In APA Format?
- APA Formatting:Purdue On-line Writing Lab
- Algebra - includes lessons, calculators, and worksheet problems so that you can practice your skills.
- Math.com - offers step-by-step instructions, examples and workouts in everyday math, pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, statistics, calculus. This website offers homework help, practice, tutoring, calculators and tools, and games.
- Algebra - includes lessons from preliminary to advanced algebra. Provides reviewed and approved links to free online tutoring and lessons, quizzes, and worksheets.
- College Algebra - This website offers help in college algebra. Tutorials were created as a service to anyone who needs help in this area of math.
- Math Quiz - Complete math practice for integers, fractions, concepts and geometry.
- The Math Forum - an internet mathematics library that will link you to all types of math resources.
- Math Videos - tutorial videos on Algebra, Arithmetic, Calculus, Differential Equations, Discrete Math, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics, Trigonometry, and more!
- Math Video Tutorials - Topics are Arithmetic & Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Probability, Statistics, Pre-calculus, Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Applied Math, and Brain Teasers.
- PhotoMath - A Free App that can solve math equations through Smartphone Cameras!
- Academic Tips - tips to help manage your time, take better notes, study effectively, improve memory, take tests, ,and handle the stresses of college life.
- Assignment Calculator - enter the start and completion dates for an assignment and this calculator will develop a subject specific schedule of tasks to keep you on track.
- How to Study - strategies to help you organize, manage your time, motivate yourself, concentrate, read texts, take notes, listen, manage stress, including links to how to study and write for all subject areas.
- Mindtools - helpful information on time management, stress management, memory improvement, and study skills.
- Study Guides and Strategies - strategies for preparing and learning, studying, participating in class, learning with others, managing projects, reading, preparing and taking tests, writing, math & science, and online learning.
- Test Taking Tips - learn vital skills for improving your grades.
- College Student Study Tips - key study techniques for college students.
- Tutorials - choose from thousands of lessons to learn something new or review concepts in math, sciences, economics & finance. On your profile you can select your avatar and show off your badges!
- Effective Study Environments
- How To Learn and Study Effectively - note taking and learning methods, note taking software links, effective reading and comprehension, and how to memorize.
- Time Management Techniques
- Time Management Grid - this time management grid is an effective method of organizing your priorities.
- Time Management Techniques for Right-Brained People - If lists, calendars or schedules are not for you this guide suggests a different time management style.
- Get organized self-assessment
- Manage Your Work Don't Let It Manage You - tips for managing your time and getting ahead.
- How Long Should I Study For? - what is the length of time recommended to study, to take breaks, and how do I get into a routine for studying?
- Tips For Making and Following A Study Schedule
- Chemistry, Biology, and Physics Video Tutorials
- Anatomy Flash Cards
- Medical mnemonics
- Human Anatomy Tour
- Brain Explorer
- Learn through song!
- Interactive Biology - The University of Arizona's Biology Project is an on-line interactive resource for learning biology.
- Biology Multiple Choice Questions - Learn biology through multiple choice questions!
- Learning and Teaching Activities - At this site you will find learning and teaching activities that complement Karen Timberlake's chemistry classes for allied health as well as the Timberlake textbook.
- Chemistry Coach - Tutorials and links to a variety of chemistry topics covering most introductory topics.
- Physics Classroom - the Physics Classroom features: physics tutorials, a multimedia physics studio, and physics help.
- Flash Movies and Diagrams - A wide variety of topics are covered using Flash movies and diagrams.
- Financial Accounting - this website is devoted to the principles of Financial Accounting.
- Microsoft Applications - "Learn it on-line" is a companion website for the Shelly Cashman text that offers project reinforcement, practice tests, terms, tips and tricks for Microsoft programs.